Firearms offences are usually dealt with by the Magistrates’ Court. Examples of offences under the Firearms Act 1996 (Vic) include:
- Possessing a firearm without a licence
- Possessing a firearm while prohibited
- Possessing an unregistered firearm
- Damaging property with a firearm
- Using a firearm in a dangerous manner
When dealing with offences against the Firearms Act, a full range of sentencing options are available to the Court. Parliament has also set prescribed disqualification periods for holders of firearms licences when being sentenced for certain offences by the Court.
If you have been charged with a firearm-related offence please contact one of our specialists at Leanne Warren & Associates immediately on 03 9670 6066.